Photo by Kyle Loves Tori Photography
Finding vendors for a destination wedding in the Southwest comes with wonderful benefits and, of course, challenges. You have a number of amazing choices available to you for something as necessary as hair and makeup but with the struggle of (usually) not being able to meet your artist ahead of time. So how do you pick the right one for you? We cover that answer in today's post...
Hair and makeup-- a detail in your destination wedding that can make a HUGE difference in how you look and feel throughout your big day. As you've probably thought by this point in the process, planning a destination wedding can be challenging and getting a great hair and makup artist is no exception. So how do you find the perfect one? To answer that question, we took a moment to interview one of the top hair and makeup artists in the industry, Sarah Kunzler from Wild Cactus Weddings, and asked for her best advice to brides wanting to look their best on the big day.
To all readers meeting Sarah for the first time, she's a Utah-based artist with 8 years of experience who specializes in destination weddings in the Southwest (with her work featured in the photos below). She's a must-follow on Instagram for her ability to showcase inspo in every post to help you narrow down your style.
Top 7 Tips for Finding Your Hair & Makeup Artist
#1. What are your top 3 tips when looking for a hair and makeup artist?
1- Make sure that what you want matches the style of the hair and make-up artist you are booking with.
2- Make sure you book far enough in advance so you will have plenty of time to order hair, extensions, and accessories!
3- Last but definitely not least-- make sure you maintain communication with your stylist so you can ensure you're getting exactly what you're wanting for hair and make up the day of your wedding!
Photos by Sweetly Photography
#2. What's a common question you get from brides about the wedding day?
"How should I have my hair? Clean or dirty?" This is often asked by brides in preparation for getting their hair done. I just tell brides to do whatever they feel is best. Sometimes hair does better washed freshly the day of or second-day dirty hair. I always say you know your hair best And we can always dirty it with product.
#3. What's something you think every bride should know about hiring the right Hair & Makeup artist?
When hiring a hair and make up artist for your wedding, make sure your styles match, and that you have a consultation beforehand to know if personalities match as well!
Photo by Lindsay Clement Photography
#4. What are 3 things that make a great Hair & Makeup artist?
1. Communication is definitely key in planning an auto state and destination wedding. Having a hair and makeup artist be able to communicate exactly what you're wanting not only during the wedding but before as well!
2. Experience. Not only what experience they've had, but how to help your experience be the best one on your wedding day. I mean you are spending your morning with us! Why not have fun?
3. Style. Making sure your stylist matches the style that you want definitely makes or breaks the experience for the day! Make sure that your stylist matches what you want for the wedding so this you feel comfortable and confident looking back 10 years from now at photos.
Photo by Capture Your Legacy
#5. What are your 3 favorite areas you've done weddings in the Southwest?
3. Zion National Park
#6. What top reasons would you give for a destination bride to hire a professional Hair & Makeup artist?
Why hire a Makeup Artist, when you could do it on your own? There are so many reasons why it's enjoyable to have somebody else do your make-up for your wedding day.
1. You don't have to worry about packing extra things for hair and make-up and hoping you don't forget something.
2. Being able to have a moment in the morning to relax before everything starts!
3. Knowing you'll have a professional do your hair and make-up and not having to worry if it's going to turn out the way that you wanted to.
4. Let's be honest ladies, it's hard to see the back of our heads, so to have somebody else be able to see all angles of the style is ideal!
5. Having one less thing you have to worry about for the wedding day.
Photo by Captured by Katie
#7. What top tips would you give to make sure your client gets the results they want when they're done in the chair?
1. Making sure you have photos of what you want is so helpful for stylists to be able to visualize what you're wanting and both be on the same page.
2. Don't be afraid to speak up and communicate if you are not liking something, we won't be offended. It's your special day, and you should have it the way you want to!
3. Make sure you take the bridal style quiz that is included in your package to help find the perfect style for your day!
BONUS: What's something brides have requested in the last year?
Boho styles are in right now; it's a very popular style request from brides these days.
"Hey, beautiful bride! Sarah here! I am so excited for your wedding! I have been doing wedding hair and makeup for the last six years and have loved every minute of it, I love spoiling my braids, and giving them the best that they deserve! Every bride gets a unique and individualized package that fits their personal needs so that they can have the best experience the morning of their wedding when getting ready!"
-Sarah Kunzler • Wild Cactus Weddings
Hopefully this provided you with answers around finding just the right artist for you! We want to thank Sarah for taking the time to answer our brides' most pressing questions around such a crucial vendor. If you want to learn more about her work at Wild Cactus Weddings, check out her story below.